Tuesday, March 31, 2009

scrooge in me

Having moved into my new project, the only change from my normal corporate life is this one particular event that occurs too frequently. There may not be any reason, but out of the blue I get the invitation to be there, to enjoy with a Special guest. I' am left with no other option, but entertain this guest (can I say an intruder) into my daily routine...
By now many would have guessed that am talking about the small parties we have at office...
I' am a person who is really open minded to accept such an uninvited guest at a totally unexpected time. There is an old Indian saying "GUESTS ARE LIKE GOD", and I totally abide to the traditional norms put by our wise ancestors. I respect them for all the hard fast rules they set in this area. When this SPL Guest arrives, I would not think twice to entertain him, cause in my opinion-1) partying like crazy keeps you going.2) And the whole team is together when it is party time.
But there are certain times when I feel really irritated when this guest comes. Those days are the ones I call, my BLACK DAY. These are days, when I would have oodles of work to do and the time allocated is minuscule. I would already be at the brink of sanity, so I term this as the "worst time" to receive a party invite. And I would have to be present with the team in the name of FORMALITY. I end up not doing justice to this really adorable guest of mine, cause my tiny mind and heart is preoccupied with the thought of my work and finding an optimal solution to the vicious problem.
This makes me wonder, do I really like these frequent parties? Me enjoying that time is purely based on my work. If I have work, I certainly detest hanging out in parties. And if am free, I would love to go and have a blast...
then the bitter truth slowly sank into me, I realized that my liking toward any thing or anybody was purely based on my convenience. And that was the time I felt the slight pinch of guilt for this particular attitude. But in the end, I was left with no other option other than accepting the fact that there exists an evil scrooge in me....

No comments:

Post a Comment